Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies|
ISSN 2410-0420 (Online), ISSN 1818-7900 (Print)
FROM PARAMETRIC CLASSIFYING OF MINERALS AND ROCKS TO GENERAL SOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM OF CHEMICAL CLASSIFYING OF MATTERS
M. M. Labushev
The article proposes classifying minerals and rocks based on the equations of information theory for the calculation of mutual information of two random variables. Eight atomic masses, which are extracted (using the Monte-Carlo method) from a large array of masses corresponding to the chemical composition of a mineral, form a 3-by-3 matrix, with the ninth element being their sum. Information coefficient of proportionality is then defined as the algebraic sum of three uncertainties – the distribution of atomic masses by rows, columns and the entire matrix. Mean values and standard deviations of such distributions are used as the classification indicators. Calculations can be performed using an open source program, Agemarker. Its description includes examples that illustrate basic classification possibilities, as well as the possibility of determining the relative age of rocks (through the example of limestones)
classifying minerals and rocks, information theory, information coefficient of proportionality, relative age of rocks
How to cite:
Labushev M. M. FROM PARAMETRIC CLASSIFYING OF MINERALS AND ROCKS TO GENERAL SOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM OF CHEMICAL CLASSIFYING OF MATTERS // Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies. - 2017. - Volume 15, Issue No 2. - P. 47–58. - ISSN 1818-7900. (in Russian).
Full Text in Russian
Available in PDF
1. Yefremova S. V., Stafeev K. G. Petrochemical methods of rock study: Guidebook. Moscow, Nedra, 1985, 511 p. (in Russ.)
2. Petrographic Code of Russia: Magmatic, Metamorphic, Metasomatic, Impact Formations. 3rd ed. St. Petersburg, VSEGEI Publ., 2009, 200 p. (in Russ.)
3. Petrov T. G. RHA-method as a problem solution of systemizing analytical data on material composition of geological targets. Otechestvennaya Geologiya, 2008, № 4, p. 98–105. (in Russ.)
4. Labushev M. M. About Limit Numbers of Minerals, Inorganic and Organic Chemical Compounds.
Journal of Siberian Federal University. Engineering & Technologies, 2008, № 3, p. 221–233. (in Russ.)
5. Labushev M. M. The Periodic Table as a Part of the Periodic Table of Chemical Compounds, 2011, 18 p. URL: http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.3972
6. Labushev M. M., Khokhlov A. N. A new approach to the relative age of igneous rocks determination. Modern technologies of development of mineral resources. Collection of scientific works. Krasnoyarsk, 2011, p. 64–68. (in Russ.)
7. Labushev M. M., Khokhlov A. N. Relative Dating and Classification of Minerals and Rocks Based on Statistical Calculations Related to Their Potential Energy Index, 2012, 19 p. URL:
8. Edmundson R. S. Industrial Limestones and Dolomites in Virginia: James River District West of the BIue Ridge. Charlottesville, Virginia, 1958, 133 p.
9. Le Maitre R. W. A Proposal by the IUGS Subcommission on the Systematics of Igneous Rocks for a Chemical Classification of Volcanic Rocks Based on the Total Alkali – Silica (TAS) Diagram. Australian J. Earth Sci, 1984, vol. 31, p. 243–255.
10. Sharpenok L. N., Kostin A. E., Kukharenko E. A. Detailed elaboration of the Region. Geology and Metallogeny, 2008, no. 35, p. 48–55. (in Russ.)
11. Labushev M. M. Three Packets of Minerals of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements and Chemical Compounds, 2013, 15 p. URL: http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.1280
Main title Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies, Volume 15, Issue No 2 (2017).
Parallel title: Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies Volume 15, Issue No 2 (2017).
Key title: Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Abbreviated key title: Vestn. Novosib. Gos. Univ., Ser.: Inf. Tehnol.
Variant title: Vestnik NGU. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Year of Publication: 2017
ISSN: 1818-7900 (Print), ISSN 2410-0420 (Online)
Publisher: Novosibirsk State University Press
© 2006-2017, Novosibirsk State University.