Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies|
ISSN 2410-0420 (Online), ISSN 1818-7900 (Print)
Containers Live Migration
A. L. Mirkin, V. A. Petrov
UDC code: 004.451
Container-type virtualization is an ability to run multiple isolated sets of processes, known as containers, under a single kernel instance. Having such an isolation opens the possibility to save the complete state of (in other words, to checkpoint) a container and later to restart it. Checkpoint itself is used for live migration, in particular for implementing highavailability solutions. In this paper, we present the checkpoint and restart and live migration feature for containers as implemented in OpenVZ
virtualization, operating system, checkpoint, restart, migration
How to cite:
Mirkin A. L., Petrov V. A. Containers Live Migration // Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies. - 2008. - Volume 06, Issue No 3. - P. 103 - 109. - ISSN 1818-7900. (in Russian).
Full Text in Russian
Available in PDF
1. Sudakov O. O., Boyko Yu. V., Tretyak O. V., Korotkova T. P., Meshcheryakov E. S. Process checkpointing and restart system for Linux // Mathematical Machines and Systems. 2003.
2. Pinheiro E. Truly-Transparent Checkpointing of Parallel Applications // Federal University of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, December 1997.
3. Almesberger W. TCP Connection Passing // Proceedings of the Linux Symposium (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada), July 2004.
4. Zhong H., Nieh J. CRAK: Linux Checkpoint/Restart As a Kernel Module // Department of Computer Science, Columbia University, Technical Report CUCS-014-01, November 2001.
5. Osman S., Subhraveti D., Su G., Nieh J. The Design and Implementation of Zap: A System for Migrating Computing Environments // Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2002), Boston, MA, December 9–11, 2002.
6. Duell J., Hargrove P. and Roman. E. The Design and Implementation of Berkeley Lab's Linux Checkpoint/Restart // Berkeley Lab Technical Report (publication LBNL-54941), December 2002.
Main title Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies, Volume 06, Issue No 3 (2008).
Parallel title: Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies Volume 06, Issue No 3 (2008).
Key title: Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Abbreviated key title: Vestn. Novosib. Gos. Univ., Ser.: Inf. Tehnol.
Variant title: Vestnik NGU. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Year of Publication: 2008
ISSN: 1818-7900 (Print), ISSN 2410-0420 (Online)
Publisher: Novosibirsk State University Press
© 2006-2017, Novosibirsk State University.