Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies|
ISSN 2410-0420 (Online), ISSN 1818-7900 (Print)
Seismic Reverse-Time Migration Using Efficient Numerical Algorithm for Modeling First-Arrival Waveforms
Alexandr Sergeevich Serdyukov, Anton Albertovich Duchkov, Artem Sergeevich Smelov
We suggest a new algorithm for numerical modeling of seismic wavefields. Finite-difference solution of the wave equation occurs only in a strip (further called «window») following the front of first arrivals. The «window» position is determined from the numerical eikonal solver by computing first-arrival fronts. The proposed approach of the windowed modeling can significantly speed up calculation (since the finite-difference calculations are carried out in a moving «window» instead of computing in the whole domain) and reduce the amount of memory required for storing the field. The tests showed the possibility of the calculation accelerating up to 40 times and memory usage reduction up to 50 times. This approach allows us to model only the waveforms of the first arrivals, but this is enough for many seismic migration procedures. In particular, the article discusses the case of the reverse-time migration because it requires large amounts of computations. Tests show that in addition to accelerating the migration this approach allows us to avoid the appearance of artifacts, i.e. false images of non-existent seismic boundaries.
numerical algorithms, finite-difference scheme, wave equation, eikonal equation, reversetime seismic migration, parallel computing
How to cite:
Serdyukov A. S., Duchkov A. A., Smelov A. S. Seismic Reverse-Time Migration Using Efficient Numerical Algorithm for Modeling First-Arrival Waveforms // Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies. - 2016. - Volume 14, Issue No 4. - P. 68-79. - ISSN 1818-7900. (in Russian).
Full Text in Russian
Available in PDF
1. Virieux J. Wave propagation in heterogeneous media: Velocity-stress finited fference method // Geophysics. 1986. Vol. 51, No. 4. P. 889–901.
2. Kristek J., Moczo P., Galis M. A brief summary of some PML formulations and discretizations for the velocity-stress equation of seismic motion // Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica. 2009. Vol. 53, No. 4. P. 459–474.
3. Boore, D. M. Finite difference methods for seismic wave propagation in heterogeneous materials // Methods of Computational Physics, vol.2, / B. Alder, S. Fernbach, M. Rotenberg. (Eds). New York: Academic Press. 1972. P. 1–37.
4. Vidale, J. Finite-difference calculation of travel times // Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1988. Vol. 78, No. 6. P. 2062–2076
5. Sethian J. Level set methods and fast marching methods: evolving interfaces in computational geometry, fluid mechanics, computer vision, and materials science. Cambridge Univ Pr. 1999. 400 p.
6. Zhao H. A fast sweeping method for eikonal equations // Mathematics of computation. 2005. Vol. 74, № 250. Р. 603–627.
7. Nikitin A. A., Serdyukov A. S., Duchkov A. A. Parallel algorithm of three-dimensional eikonal solver for seismic applications // Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies. - 2015. Volume 13, Issue No 3. - P. 19-28. - ISSN 1818-7900. (in Russian).
8. Baysal E., Kosloff D.D., Sherwood J.W. Reverse time migration // Geophysics. 1983. Vol. 48, No. 11. P. 1514–1524.
9. McMechan G. A. Migration by extrapolation of time-dependent boundary values // Geophysical Prospecting. 1983. Vol. 31, No. 3. P. 413–420.
10. Kvasnička M., Zahradnřanděk J. A combined kinematic-dynamic method for fast computations of the first-arriving waveforms // Seismic Waves in Complex 3-D Structures, Dep. Geophys., Charles Univ., Prague, 1996. Rep. No. 4. P. 251–286.
Main title Vestnik NSU Series: Information Technologies, Volume 14, Issue No 4 (2016).
Parallel title: Novosibirsk State University Journal of Information Technologies Volume 14, Issue No 4 (2016).
Key title: Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Abbreviated key title: Vestn. Novosib. Gos. Univ., Ser.: Inf. Tehnol.
Variant title: Vestnik NGU. Seriâ: Informacionnye tehnologii
Year of Publication: 2016
ISSN: 1818-7900 (Print), ISSN 2410-0420 (Online)
Publisher: Novosibirsk State University Press
© 2006-2018, Novosibirsk State University.